In this episode, I interview Dr. Fran Wilkerson, a veterinary colleague in the Chicago area. She has a very informative website about pet insurance that she was developing several years ago at the same time I was starting this blog. She is one of the most knowledgable veterinarians in the United States about pet insurance and I'm happy to introduce her to you.
She shares with us:
- Why she started her website
- Some of the "must have" coverages if you are to select a policy that provides adequate coverage for your pet's injuries and illnesses.
- Some similarities and differences between human health insurance and pet health insurance.
- Why it is important that pet insurance companies, pet owners and veterinarians diligently guard against any drift toward "managed care" that has plagued other health professions. This is a topic that you may not have heard discussed much, but I think it will be of interest to you.
- Her Pet Health Newsletter that is primarily devoted to educating and notifying subscribers about pet food recalls.