In this episode, I interview Dr. Carol McConnell at VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance). Appropriately, this podcast is being published in the month of VPI's 30 year anniversary of offering pet insurance in the United States.
In this podcast, we'll discuss:
- Dr. McConnell's background and what she does at VPI.
- Who should purchase pet insurance
- VPI's coverage of exotic pets
- Pet Insurance vs. a savings account to pay for a pet's healthcare needs
- Differences between pet health insurance and other types of insurance e.g. human health insurance, auto insurance, etc.
- Lloyd's Banking Group in the UK recently getting out of the pet insurance business leaving thousands of pets without insurance that were previously insured- could such a thing happen in the United States?
- An explanation of why VPI uses a benefit schedule vs. paying a percentage of the veterinary invoice.
- Details about VPI's policies
- VPI's underwriting process and how this determines if any pre-existing conditions are present.