In this episode, I interview the person who started the very first successful pet insurance company in the United States - Dr. Jack Stephens.
We talk about:
- A famous TV star who was the first dog insured in the United States.
- Why some pet insurance companies fail and why VPI was successful.
- What are the factors today that have led to the recent explosive growth of pet insurance that weren't factors when he started the first company in 1982.
- Claim reimbursement that are paid based on a percentage of invoice versus usual and customary or a benefit schedule.
- The likelyhood of new pet insurance companies entering the market.
- Why pet insurance companies change underwriters from time to time and what this means for policyholders.
- Pets Best new policy offerings.
- Pets Best direct deposit program.
- Medical record review to determine if there are any pre-existing conditions that will be excluded from coverage.
- The North American Pet Health Insurance Association and its purpose.
- The future of pet insurance in the United States.
- Filing claims, sending medical records, and receiving reimbursements electronically.
- Why veterinarians shouldn't fear pet insurance turning into managed care like the human health insurance model.
- The Skeeter Foundation.
Download Transcript of Interview with Dr. Jack Stephens
Other helpful links:
Pets Best pet insurance company
Get Dr. Stephen's new book: