In this episode, I interview Dr. Jules Benson, the Vice President of Veterinary Services at Petplan petinsurance company.
- His background and what he does at Petplan.
- The history of the company.
- The ages and types of pets they insure.
- An overview of Petplan's policies.
- How their per-incident deductible works.
- Why Petplan felt it was important to cover hereditary and chronic conditions up to the full limits of the policy.
- How pet insurance allows veterinarians to practice quality medicine and pet owners to choose the best care for their pet.
- The differences between reimbursing a pet owner based on a benefit schedule, what is considered usual and customary, and according to whatever the veterinarian charges and the impact it has on premiums.
- Why "veterinary inflation" is often misunderstood and the impact it has on premium increases.
- How their copay works for not only care at the primary veterinarian's office, but also at specialty and emergency hospitals.
- Coverage for alternative therapies and behavioral disorders.
- Why Petplan doesn't offer coverage for wellness care.
- Process of doing a medical records review for potential pre-existing conditions.
- Why getting pet insurance when a pet is young makes sense.
- How pet insurance in the United States differs from pet insurance in the United Kingdom.
- How technology and a better understanding of pet insurance by consumers and veterinarians will impact the future of pet insurance in the United States.
Links to items talked about in this episode: