In this episode, I interview Merrick Wolfe, who was a guest on a previous podcast episode where he talked about switching pet insurance companies when his dog, Frida, was 10 years old. Merrick has kept in contact with me over the past 3 to 4 years and has valuable information to share for those pet owners who are considering whether to purchase pet insurance for an older pet or whether it is wise to switch companies when your pet is older.
- Is it too late to purchase pet insurance if you have an older pet - it depends...
- Importance of getting a medical record review to determine if there are any pre-existing conditions that won't be covered.
- His experience with Petplan when filing claims for the chronic conditions Frida has developed in the past 3 years:
Cancer - twice
- Petplan's adjustment of his premium downward when Frida lost weight.
- A 30% increase in his premium this year.
- An arrangement where Petplan reimburses his veterinarian directly.
- Second thoughts - would he choose Petplan if he had it to do all over again?
Pet Insurance Guide Podcast - Episode 7 - Switching Pet Insurance Companies Need Not Be A Pain - The Right Way To Do It