Samantha Haxton joins me for an update on her and her daughter's experience with Embrace pet insurance company since insuring their pets. In the course of the interview, we touched on several important tips pet owners can take to maximize the benefits of their pet insurance policy - regardless of what company they choose to insure their pet.
We'll talk about:
- Why she has high deductibles on all her policies
- How having insurance helped when a shoulder injury took months to finally diagnose and eventually treat successfully.
- Why you want to share what your policy covers and doesn't cover with your veterinarian when formulating a diagnostic/treatment plan. Better yet, if possible, present the plan to your insurer for pre-certification to know what is or is not covered and how much reimbursement you'll receive.
- Importance of reading a sample policy prior to purchasing insurance and your actual policy when you receive it to make sure you understand it's provisions, how to maximize it's benefits and reduce your out-of-pocket costs.
- Why buying insurance while your pet is young and before symptoms of disease develop (especially if a chronic condition) can save you thousands of dollars.
- Why it's important to have a financial plan in place (e.g. savings, available credit, and insurance) as soon after acquiring a pet and before problems occur because you simply don't know if or when your pet may get sick or injured.
Be sure to check out these other links:
Demi's Explanation of Benefits (EOB)
Subscribe to Podcast (get email when new episodes are published)
Subscribe to podcast via iTunes
Subscribe to podcast via Stitcher